Popular United States pop music singer, Tina Turner is dead.
It was reported reported that the legendary singer passed on at the age of 83 after a protracted illness in her home in Küsnacht near Zurich, Switzerland.
She was known as the ‘Queen of Rock’n Roll’. ‘With her, the world loses a music legend and a role model,’ her representatives said in a statement.
See key dates in the life of the pop icon:
– November 26, 1939: Born Anna Mae Bullock in Tennessee into a poor farming family. Develops an early love of singing at her church choir.
– 1956: Meets rhythm and blues group musician Ike Turner in St Louis, Missouri, and later joins his band Kings of Rhythm.
– 1960: Ike changes her name to Tina Turner and they form the musical duo the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. Over the next 15 years, the couple will have 25 records on the charts.
– 1962: She marries Ike Turner in Tijuana, Mexico.
– 1978: The couple divorce.
– 1984: Releases first solo album, “Private Dancer”, which includes “What’s Love Got To Do With It”, Turner’s most successful single and winner of two of her eight Grammy Awards.
– 1985: Stars opposite Mel Gibson in “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdrome” as the fearsome community ruler in a post-apocalyptic world.
– 1986: Bestselling autobiography “I, Tina” reveals bombshell details about domestic abuse during her marriage to Ike Turner.
– 1993: Release of “What’s Love Got To Do With It” based on Turner’s life, starring Angela Bassett as Tina Turner.
– 2013: Becomes a Swiss citizen and marries German music producer Erwin Bach.
– 2017: Undergoes a kidney transplant. Bach was the donor.
– 2018: Death of her eldest son Craig from an apparent suicide aged 59.
2022: Death of her son Ronnie of complications from colon cancer aged 62. Turner has two other children.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]